Updated: Aug 3
The yearly herbaceous black cumin, plant, seed (botanical name is nigella sativa), or black seed for short, is believed to be indigenous to the Mediterranean region but has been cultivated into other parts of the world including the Arabian peninsula, northern Africa and parts of Asia.
The plant Kalonji or Nigella sativa is an annual flowering plant, Native to south west Asia and cultivated in countries like Middle Eastern Mediterranean region, South Europe, Syria, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, India. The above plant is a small annual herb Distributed all over the world. In the religion of Islam, the plant has been given a great importance because of its number of uses. As per The religion it is one of the greatest healing plants. The Prophet Muhammad Peace be upon him, once stated that the black seed can heal every Disease except death. Avicenna, most famous for his volumes called The Canon of Medicine, refers to Nigella as the seed that stimulates the body's energy and helps recovery from fatigue and Dispiritedness. It is also included in the list of natural drugs of 'Tibb- e-Nabavi', meaning "Medicine of the Prophet (Muhammad peace be upon him)",
According to The tradition hold onto the use of the black seeds for healing all
Diseases. In the Greek Medicine system of medicine, N. sativa is regarded as a valuable remedy for a number of diseases. In the Indian system of medicine, the seeds are used as astringent, bitter, Stimulant, diuretic, emmenagogue, anthelmintic, jaundice, Intermittent fever, dyspepsia, paralysis, piles and skin diseases and Many more.
The black seed which is also known as black cumin kalonji seed or nigella sative, it has been used as medicine and spice it was even found in king tut Ankh’s tomb in Egypt black even its medicinal properties have been mentioned in various ancient literature including Ayurveda and Chinese medicines black seeds medicinal properties .I am going to discuss scientifically backed health benefit of black seeds. Which will encourage you to start using black seed for your benefits.
Pharmacological Properties of Black Seed
1. Analgesic and Anti-inflammatory activity
2. Antidiabetic activity
3. Anti cancer
4. Antimicrobial activity
The kalonji, or Nigella seeds, is an interesting spice and flavoring agent too, it adds a beautiful aroma to the dishes, and a hint of flavor that you can’t quite nail. In India, dry roasted kalonji is used for flavoring curries, stir fried vegetables, and even others.
Flavor and aroma aside, the tiny black seed comes with a whole lot of health benefits. It’s loaded with trace elements, vitamins, crystalline nigellone, amino acids, saponin, crude fiber, proteins and fatty acids like linolenic and oleic acids, volatile oils, alkaloids, iron, sodium, potassium and calcium. It keeps your heart healthy, addresses breathing problem, lubricates your joints, and is known to have anti-carcinogenic properties. That’s quite a lot for a seed that size, isn’t it? In fact.
Usage of Black Seed.
1. Number one it has high amount of antioxidants various compounds found in black seed like thymic we known carvacrol and tianna thil are responsible for high amount of antioxidant of black seeds these antioxidants have protective effect against chronic condition like cancer diabetes heart disease and obesity.
2. It has cancer fighting property. the high amount of free radicals in the body has been linked to increase cancer incidences antioxidants in black seed have the ability to neutralize the effects of cancer causing substances, few study have shown that black seed oil has effects against blood cancer in breast cancer cells .
3. It has cholesterol –lowering effects. Several study have shown that black seed supplements are very potent in lowering the total cholesterol level in your blood. The black seed oil has more pronounced effects in lowering the LDL or bad cholesterol and increasing HDL or good cholesterol levels.
4. It has antibacterial effects calling black seed is a natural antibiotic is not an exaggeration. It has strong antibiotic effects against many bacterial infections including the resistant bacteria in a study it was seen the topical application of black seed oil in case of skin infection was equally effective due to its antibiotic properties.
5. It has anti-inflammatory effects chronic inflammation is responsible for disease like cancer and heart attack. Black seed have potent anti-inflammatory effects due to the high amount of powerful antioxidants present in them. Many people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis have seen tremendous benefits from consuming one thousand milligram of black seed oil daily /
6. It has weight loss effect adding black seed in your diet helps in satiating your taste buds for a longer duration .when you add black seed in any dish it increases its nutritional value . It contains nigel own and antioxidant enzyme .which helps in reducing weight and controlling obesity.
7. It has blood suger stabilizing effects black seed has the power to stabilize the blood sugar levels in diabetic patients it seen that blood sugar levels become very high or very low which is a dangerous situation adding black seed in daily diet may help you stabilize blood sugar levels and prevent such emergencies if you are a diabetic other than all these black seed are also said to be good for asthma diabetic high blood pressure and improving sperm function.