Updated: Aug 3, 2020
What is Mercury?
Mercury is a heavy, silvery d-block element, mercury is the only metallic element that is liquid at standard conditions for temperature and pressure; the only other element that is liquid under these conditions is bromine, though metals such as cesium, gallium, and rubidium melt just above room temperature.
Mercury is a metal because is has free electrons as do all metals. As a result it is a good conductor of electricity as are all metals. All metals form compounds by giving up those free electrons to become positive ions. Mercury gives up two electrons to become an ion of charge plus two. Most metals form ions of charge of either plus one or plus two, a few become plus three ions. Most non-metals do not conduct electricity and they form negative ions or covalent bonds. The test for conducting electricity quickly determines that mercury is a metal.
If someone drink mercury,
Mercury poisoning refers to a toxicity from mercury consumption. Mercury is a type of toxic metal that comes in different forms within the environment. The most common cause of mercury poisoning is from consuming too much methylmercury, which is linked to eating seafood.
Small amounts of mercury are present in everyday foods and products, which may not affect your health. Too much mercury, however, can be poisonous. Mercury itself is naturally occurring, but the amounts in the environment have been on the rise from industrialization. The metal can make its way into soil and water, and eventually to animals like fish.
Consuming foods with mercury is the most common cause of this type of poisoning. Children and unborn babies are the most vulnerable to the effects of mercury poisoning. You can help prevent toxicity by limiting your exposure to this potentially dangerous metal
Symptoms of mercury poisoning
Methylmercury is most notable for its neurological effects. In general,
More often, mercury poisoning builds up over time. However, a sudden onset of any of these symptoms could be a sign of acute toxicity. Call your doctor right away if you suspect mercury poisoning.
Mercury poisoning symptoms in adults
Adults with advanced mercury poisoning might experience:
hearing and speech difficulties
lack of coordination
nerve loss in hands and face
Mercury poisoning symptoms in children and infants
Mercury poisoning can also disrupt fetal and early childhood development. Infants and young children who’ve been exposed to high levels of mercury may have delays in:
fine motor skills
speech and language development
There are Three Types of mercury
1. Elemental Mercury
2. Inorganic Mercury
3. Organic Mercury.
What Is Thimerosal
Thimesoral (or Thiomersal) is an organic compound used as an antiseptic and preservative in many biological and drug products, including vaccines. It helps prevent potential life-threatening contamination by microorganisms (e.g. by Staphylococcus bacteria) and fungi. It is most regularly used in multi-dose vials, which are cheaper than single-dose vials. The latter don't need bacteriostatic because there is less risk of contamination by the environment.
In the past, Thimesoral was one of the few preservatives that did not reduce the potency of vaccines, leading to its popularity. It was also used in antiseptic creams, nasal sprays, eye drops, contact lens solutions, and immunoglobins. Thimorsal Use has recently declined due to concerns about the compound's safety.
Thimerosal is an organomercurial and is 50% mercury by weight. Research is beginning to reveal that even low levels of organo mercurials have a theoretical potential for neurotoxicity. Hence, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) of USA has been working to ensure that vaccine manufacturers reduce or eliminate thimerosal to safe limits, especially for children aged 6 or less.
For all vaccines routinely recommended for children in this age bracket, thimerosal has been removed or reduced to trace levels -- with the exception of inactivated influenza vaccine. However, a preservative free version of the vaccine with trace levels of thimerosal is available in limited supply for infants, children, and pregnant women.
Vaccines with trace amounts of thimerosal contain 1 microgram or less of mercury per dose.
Mercury and Vaccines (Thimerosal)
First do remember that all drugs are poisons and all poisons are drugs, just a difference is dosage form.
Thimerosal is a mercury-containing preservative used in some vaccines and other products since the 1930s. There is no convincing scientific evidence of harm caused by the low doses of thimerosal in vaccines, except for minor reactions like redness and swelling at the injection site. However, in July 1999, the Public Health Service agencies, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and vaccine manufacturers agreed that thimerosal should be reduced or eliminated in vaccines as a precautionary measure.